Friday, October 24, 2008

The Birthday Party

Maybe I'm a bad mom, but I tend to dread birthday parties. I really don't know why, because I know how happy it makes my kids. Maybe it's because you spend so much time planning and preparing and then it comes and goes within an hour and a half. Maybe it's the thought of having 15 kids running around like maniacs. Maybe it's the clean-up afterwards. I don't know.


Tanner's party actually turned out ok. He had wanted to do a Halloween party and play "spooky" games and eat "creepy" food, so we scoured the internet looking for fun ideas. We ended up playing "zombie tag" (Halloween version of Marco Polo), "Boo am I" (charades), and "mummy wrap," where the kids wrapped each other up in toilet paper and raced to a designated spot. The food was the funniest part because there were kids that refused to eat some of it because they thought we were feeding them cooked worms and that the appendages floating in the punch were real. Even after I told them that they were only eating hot dogs, about half of the kids wouldn't eat them. It made us laugh. When it was all said and done, I think Tanner and his friends had a good time. Now, if only I can think of a way out of one next year (hey, a mother has to dream!).


3 comments:

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

VERY spooky food:)

Anonymous said...

This is too cute. I am also a sucker for the theme party!

alaynamarriott said...

You are such a good mom! For some reason I always thought Mom enjoyed throwing our parties....was I mislead? Those were some of my favorite childhood memories, so just know that your efforts are worth the stress! I must admit I can't blame those 7 year olds for not wanting to touch your food.....I'm 28 (kind of) and it would make me nervous to eat it too! Just teasing......your party turned out absolutely darling!