Thursday, January 31, 2008

Down and Derby

Let me preface this by saying that Nate is very good at a lot of things. Anyone that knows him will agree with me that he has a great mind that doesn't forget a thing. He's a great leader, a great coach, and the best dad ever. But...he's not a pine wood derby kind of guy. Since Treyson was a little boy, he's dreaded the day that he would have to help build Trey's car. To make matters worse, we now total three boys. That makes nine total pine wood derby races. Oh, the joy!

Treyson had his second race last night. I'm one of his scout leaders, so the two of us headed over early to the church to finish getting set up. On the way, we had the talk about not caring what place it finishes in, but just being happy if it crosses the finish line. Well...it didn't even cross the finish line! Poor Treyson was so down, but thankfully, one of our friends that has actually lived for this day, took pity on us and helped work out some of the kinks (thanks, Brad!). Trey's car actually started to make it to the end and even pulled out a first place in one of the heats! I'm proud of Trey for his attitude and I'm proud of Nate for sticking with it and helping Treyson. Just think Nate, two derbys down, seven more to go!

3 comments:

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

If we lived closer I would let you borrow Art, he can't wait to dot hose with our boys! Good thing we all have different strengths, huh?

alaynamarriott said...

Nate and Trey, we are so proud of you. I love Treyson's positive attitude. The car looks great by the way. Isn't life really about fashion and how things look anyway? I have to agree that Nate has a million trillion incredible talents. His brains blow me away! (I'm not sure how that last sentence will be interpreted, but I'll leave it anyway.) The point is, Nate is considered brilliant in my book. I'm also curious why there isn't a photo of Lindsay in her yellow scout shirt.

Ryan Esplin said...

We went to our ward's pinewood derby contest the other day. Glad to see that Treyson is continuing the tradition, even though Esplins (including myself) know very little about mechanical engineering.