Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cowans, Celebrations, and California

Summer wrapped up with a bang for us. There was so much going on the final weeks before school started, so once again, here is a long (maybe slightly boring) post about the happenings in the Esplin household.

Cowan Reunion
The first weekend in August, all of my immediate family came to Cedar and spent a couple of days at our cabin. We've never had an official reunion, and my kids were ecstatic waiting for everyone to get here. We did a lot of what usually happens at reunions: eating and laughing. The kids loved riding on the four-wheelers and had a great time fishing. The fish must have been hungry at Kids' Pond that day, because I think each of the kids ended up catching one!

While we were all together, we were able to celebrate three birthdays! Dawson's fourth birthday was on Friday, Treyson's 11th birthday was on Saturday, and Colby's (38th. SSHHH, you didn't hear that from me) was on the following Tuesday. Happy birthday, boys!



Birthday Celebration

Treyson turned the big eleven on August 8th. You know, that's really not that far from driving and dating and all those things that "big" kids do. Yikes.

We spent most of his birthday at the cabin with the family, but he was getting pretty anxious to get home so he could open his presents. He's been begging for quite awhile for a cell phone. I've always asked him why a ten-year-old needs a phone. Well, I guess eleven-year-olds do. I had told him not until he was at least twelve, so imagine his surprise when the new shorts he got started to ring! He was so excited! As much as I didn't want to give him one, I have to say, I've loved being able to reach him whenever I want. I love this boy and am so glad I can call him my first. He is such a great example for his younger siblings. He is so self-motivated and wants to succeed in all he does. Love you, Trey Ray!


California

The day after Treyson's birthday, we loaded everyone up and headed to San Bernadino, California to watch the 11-12 year old baseball team play in the regional tournament. The boys didn't have the best tournament, but we loved watching them and just feeling the excitement that is there. Besides baseball, we were able to do all of the kids' school shopping (they were thrilled), eat at some yummy restaurants, and go to the beach! The water was really cold, so Max and I stayed away, but the rest of the family jumped right in! Max loved playing in the sand and trying to bury his legs. It wasn't a super warm day, so we didn't get any sunscreen on Nate or Trey...oops. Not such a pleasant ride home the next day for either of them. We had a great time, and got us super excited for Hawaii in October.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it slowing down at all now that school has started? Summer happenings looked too fun! Hope we can see you guys next time we come through or you could make the trek to Castle Dale! :) By the way I will have to call you I have a question about a book that you have that I maybe would like to borrow. Talk to you soon

alaynamarriott said...

Yeah for an update! I've been checking regularly for an update (I guess I could have used all that time to update mine.) So fun to see these fun pictures.....especially Cali! How fun to let your kids just run and have fun!

JanTSouthwick said...

I'm thinking one good thing came out of these vacations. . . at least Quincy was able to get a dent in some of her new bathing suits.

Lindsay said...

Jan, what makes you think that Q has multiple swimsuits?

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Kae said...

Look at that cute butt and legs. You're in a lot of trouble when she gets older. That picture is perfect, should be entered in a contest.